Saturday, May 03, 2008

It's been a while since I've blogged but quite a bit of progress has been made.

Last weekend I went to physio and almost got a double session since my therapist was late and her next patient didn't show up. In that time, she was able to massage my right buttock to free up the clicking that had been bothering me for the last 2 years. I was really happy, because it confirmed the opnions I had been given that the clicking was not bone-on-bone but just due to a thickening in the ligament in my hip joint. This thickening doesn't go away but mobilising the joint should apparently give me back my normal motion. While the clicking returned by the end of the session >:, apparently lying / rolling on a tennis ball at home - my suggestion - will help achieve the same result.

The rest of that day I felt quite mobile, and it is amazing to see how connected my mood is to my physical comfort. I was inspired to run a few errands (laptop & camera) until my discomfort returned. With the humid weather - or maybe I'm just less worried about my hip - I find that the worst pain is now in my knees again. In addition, I am not sleeping any worse than before but my left shoulder pain and right hip pain means I need to roll over several times every night.

Another good hip exercise I was taught is to stand on one leg wth the other leg bent. You then compensate for the one leg my leaning against a wall using a beachball or similar as a cushion. You have to stand straight (face a mirror and watch your hip line stay horizontal) and basically you're using both hip muscles to keep yourself in that position. Stand there for a while, relax, and do it a few times. Switch to the other leg. The first few times I did this, I felt a good burn in the hips. Now I am used to the exercise, I don't feel it as much. One of the nice things about this exercise is that you can watch TV or talk to people while you're doing it, and you don't need to lie on the fllor or change into gym clothes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home